Compose comes with two Page templates.
- Home Carousel
- Full Width
– Home Template: Use this template to set a Home page for your blog and take advantage of a professional look. The settings for it are under “Home Template” in the customization panel.
In order for the Home template to be used as the home page you must follow these steps:
- Add a new Page, title it as Home. Select the Home template from the Page Attributes panel and Publish.
- Then visit your Settings > Reading panel, select “A static page” and set the Page you created to be what your Front Page displays.
- You can now customize the home template via the Customize panel.
– Home Carousel Template: This template is similar to the the ‘Home’ template, the only difference is that it shows a carousel on the featured area.
The carousel takes the latest posts from your selected category and displays the title and featured image in the specified area.
You can select which category to feature via the Customizer > Home Template > Home Carousel panel.
– Full Width: This is a generic full width template. Simply select it as your template of choice, add your content and Publish. It also accepts featured images. Default width is 1140px X 400px.
The theme comes with 5 widget ready areas. There is one main sidebar widget area and 4 footer widget areas. All default WordPress widgets are supported as well as 3rd party widgets.
Apart from the default WordPress customizable elements, you can customize your theme with the following settings:
1. Site Width: Choose between Full Width or Boxed. This applies mostly to the “Home” template.
2. Blog Layout: Align your sidebar right (default) or left.
3. Logo: Upload a logo for your site. Keep in mind that an appropriately sized logo will look more appealing than an extremely large or small one.
4. Link / Link Hover and Footer Background colors: Customize these colors for a unique look to your site. You can always revert back to the default settings.
Note: Some of these settings can only be previewed once you save the changes and refresh the page.
5. Menu Background / Menu Hover / Menu Links: Set the menu background color, the menu hover + active state background color and the links color on the menu.
Note: You must save your Links color and then refresh your page to preview the color.
6. Home Template: In order to use the Home template you must first create a blank Page with the template.
You can then customize the following settings for your home template –
- Featured Page: Select a Page from your published Pages and set it as your ‘Featured’ page. You must upload an image and set it as ‘featured’ in the Page so that it appears on the Home template. A tiny bit of content excerpt is shown. You can also customize the “Read More” text, which links out to the featured Page.
- Call to Action: You can enter a call to action in the following format:
<h3>This is My Call to action</h3> <p>This is some text that I've put here to show as an example</p>
- Call to Action button text / icon / link: You can customize these areas as needed.
- Feature Grid: This area shows the Title, Excerpt and Icon from three Pages you wish to use as features. You can find a list of the icon codes available here.
- Preview Section: Use this section to upload a preview image and some text. Uploaded images are automatically resized to be responsive. Recommended minimum width is 720px. Here is an example of preview section text:
<h3>Compose Preview Section</h3> <p>Use this section to show something important.</p> <ul> <li>With Compose you build once and deploy to all devices</li> <li>Built with Bootstrap, a solid interface framework</li> <li>Combined with FontAwesome for retina ready icons</li> <li>Highly extensible, module based template</li> <li>100% free and open source</li> </ul>
Featured images on the Home and Full Width template look best if they are wide. The height will be proportionally adjusted to fit in the area provided.
Featured images in your regular Posts and Pages have to be at least 745 pixels in width.
Compose supports the Aside, Audio, Gallery, Image, Link, Quote, Status and Video post formats.
Special icons provided by FontAwesome have been used to designate your Posts while using these formats. Special styling has also been applied to the Aside, Gallery and Status post format.
The theme is responsive on 99.999% of devices available on the market.
Built on Bootstrap
Compose is built on Bootstrap, one of the leading HTML, CSS and JS frameworks for jump starting your web projects.
We’re happy to contribute to the online community by combining the power of WordPress with Bootstrap and bringing you a wonderful theme to get started online.